GEORGETOWN, Ky. (FOX 56) – Identity theft is a serious crime.
Georgetown police know how vital protecting the identities of its citizens is. Personal information can be stolen and used to commit various crimes like fraud.
Identity theft can also be used to cost people time, and money, and can destroy their credit scores as well.
Here are five tips that the Georgetown Police Department recommends to help protect yourself from identity theft:
- Read your credit card and bank statements carefully and often
- Know your payment due dates. If a bill does not show up when expected, look into it
- Read health insurance plan statements. Make sure the claims and the care received match up
- File a police report if you feel you have been a victim of identity theft
- Create an identity theft report and get a personal recovery plan