This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LEXINGTON, Ky. (FOX 56) — The Oldham County coroner has identified the 2 victims of possible carbon monoxide poisoning exposure at a La Grange hotel.

Both victims were from New Albany, Indiana; 40-year-old Stacey Barta and 39-year-old John Paul Needy.

Emergency officials were called to the Quality Inn Suites on Crystal Drive East after the pair was found unconscious.

Another person was taken to the hospital for symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure. Levels found at the hotel prompted an evacuation.

Now, the Lexington Fire Department is offering some advice.

It’s called the “silent killer because you can’t smell it or see it,” according to Lexington Fire Department. “But once being exposed to it, it can lead to serious problems, including death.

Common symptoms of carbon monoxide exposure are nausea, fatigue, headache, and flu-like symptoms minus the fever.

The fire department outlined some common sources of carbon monoxide.

Todd Houston said, “Fireplaces, any kind of gas appliance, an attached garage can cause CO to build up in the house. Carbon monoxide is the byproduct of incomplete combustion so if your water heater isn’t burning properly or your furnace isn’t working properly carbon monoxide can build up in the home.” 

Making sure your appliances work properly is one step to protecting yourself from Carbon monoxide exposure.

Another tool is a carbon monoxide alarm.

It will alert you if carbon monoxide has been detected so you can leave the area and call 9-1-1.