LEXINGTON, Ky. (FOX 56) — Preparations for one of Lexington’s most hallowed spooky season tradition is underway.
Lexington’s annual Halloween Festival and Thriller Parade will feature a multitude of Halloween-inspired art and performances, leading to the ever-popular parade and thriller dance.
The event, in previous years, was named a Top 10 Halloween Destination by USA Today and was featured in the Top 25 Best Halloween Festivals Across the U.S. by Oprah Magazine.
2022 Lexington Halloween Festival schedule
- Halloween Variety Show
Saturday, Oct. 22 from 5:30-6:30 p.m.
Robert F. Stephens Courthouse Plaza
This Halloween-inspired show will feature performances by Lexington arts groups such as Mecca, Dance Attack, Traci Stone Dance Studio, and the March Madness Marching Band.
- Halloween and Thriller Parade Saturday, Oct. 22
Halloween Parade: 7 p.m.
Thriller Parade: 7:30 p.m.
Main Street starting at Quality and Mill Street
After the variety show, downtown Lexington streets will close for the annual Halloween Parade, featuring parade floats, costumed characters, and even more performances. This will lead to the event many people look forward to — the Thriller re-enactment — where several hundred zombies will dance to Michael Jackson’s renowned song.
Members of the community are encouraged to participate in the festivities by joining the parade in the form of floats, performances, and costumes. There is no charge for costumed individuals or performers to walk the parade, there is a $25 – $150 fee for float entries, which can be made here.
For those wishing to become a zombie for the night in the Thriller re-enactment, here are a few details to remember:
- $15 for participants 13 and older
- $10 for participants 7 to 12 (Any participant under 12 must be accompanied by an adult)
All dancers must register online or in person at any rehearsal by Oct. 15.
Dance lessons (minimum one required)
- Mondays: Sept. 26, Oct. 3, Oct. 10 from 6-7 p.m. (register/check-in: 5:30-6 p.m.)
- Wednesdays: Sept. 28, Oct. 5, Oct. 12 from 6-7 p.m. (register/check-in: 5:30-6 p.m.)
- Saturdays: Oct. 1, 8, 15 from 2-3 p.m. (register/check-in: 1:30-2 p.m.)
Staging rehearsals (minimum one required)
- Saturday: Oct. 15 from 3-4 p.m. (check-in: 2:30-3 p.m.)
- Monday: Oct. 17 from 6-7 p.m. (check-in: 5:30-6 p.m.)
- Wednesday: Oct. 19 from 6-7 p.m. (check-in: 5:30-6 p.m.)